plan for software dectalk?

Adam Myrow amyrow at midsouth.rr.com
Sat Jun 14 00:57:18 EDT 2003

I'm curious if anybody else has had problems with speaking of longer text
files with the software Dectalk.  If I feed it a long text file with the
"say" command that comes with the full version, It will sometimes break up
into weird gibberish consisting of lots of accented characters and at the
very end, it will repeat part of the text.  It never happened in my tests
with Gnome, so I'm not sure if it's a problem with the "say" command or
something else.

The Dectalk voices don't sound like the Dectalk PC or express to me.  The
inflection is about right, and Paul and Harry's voices are close, but the
others are way off.  On the other hand, I never cared for the other
voices, so this isn't much of a problem.  At least it doesn't have that
raspy sound of the old Dectalk Access 32 for Windows.  That thing sounded
like it had a bad cold.