Uppercase detection revisited

Paul Migliorelli (+1 3 0 3 5 4 3 2 3 1 1) paulmigs at migliorelli.org
Wed Jun 4 22:24:54 EDT 2003

Hi all.  I thought I'd solved the uppercase trouble via dectalk express,
but I can't quite see the pattern of why this is still mutating back.
I've defined the following in both /proc/speakup/caps_start and stop
as well as the other ones in /etc/speakup

I want something else said rather than a pitch increase for capital
letters, so I've been saying

echo "cap" >/proc/speakup/caps_start

and

echo " " >/proc/speakup/caps_stop

which seems to work for a while, but eventually, it all reverts back to
saying
caps line start equals stop equals and all that kind of thing.

I've catted the contents at this point, and seem to possibly hear things
like
fifty pee and other such control, almost maybe as if something dumps to
those files??  Thus altering what I'd configged??  could that be??

My thought in putting simply quote space quote in the stop file was that
if I didn't put anything there, it would correctly say cap for the start
file, but then say
stop equals
and so forth.

I'm gathering my files are being written to, as there's never any
permission errors.

Not sure what actually causes them to botch revert.  It just gets a little
odd having to retype that in (grin).  Thanks.

I know that in putting these in both places, it never retains properly
upon reboot, but, even if  the system is up properly day and day out,
within a day or so, the cap mutates back to gibberish.

Thanks much as always.