Speak Freely to be discontinued

Adam Myrow amyrow at midsouth.rr.com
Thu Jul 31 18:38:38 EDT 2003

This is weird.  The author of Speak Freely, John Walker, seemed to have
gained a revived interest in his program, set up a web forum, and the
activity on the mailing list was up.  Now, he's declaring it dead as of
January 15, 2004.  He put the announcement up at :
http://www.fourmilab.ch/speakfree/eol

I guess it's up to the Speakup community to maintain our version and keep
adding features.  The only question is whether we should try and merge in
the 7.6A code into our version?  It has some improvements like supporting
GPG as well as the older PGP for encryption, but our version has the audio
blending feature as well as the nice features for the Speakup reflector.
It's the only voice client that works on both Windows and Unix/Linux that
I know of.