Is it possible to get Via Voice talking on a Debian System with alsa?

Jacob Schmude jschmude at adelphia.net
Thu Jul 31 14:48:52 EDT 2003

Hi
You need to generate the eci.ini file. This can be done with the inigen program included with the ViaVoice RTK. The command would look something like
this:
/usr/lib/ViaVoiceOutlout/bin/inigen /usr/lib/enu50.so /home/user/eci.ini
where user is the name of the user which will use ViaVoice. Then, in that user's .bash_profile, put something like:
export ECIINI=/home/user/eci.ini
Note that an absolute path must be used, $HOME will not work for whatever reason. The reason you want to put the eci.ini file in the user's home directory
is that ViaVoice needs to write to it. That'll clear up that particular error message.
However, ViaVoice and ALSA don't tend to get along.  I've never been able to make it work, I think it depends on what kind of card you have, your kernel
version and other things depending on your system. If you're lucky, you'll be one of the few who makes it work with alsa. If it doesn't, short of using either an
OSS/Free or a commercial OSS driver, there's not much you can do about it. IBM has discontinued it and no longer updates it, and it's riddled with bugs.
One of the main bugs is that it seems to segfault after using it for around 20 minutes or so. My advise is either get used to the sound of one of the free
software synths or buy the linux software dectalk, which runs fine under alsa and is compatible with emacspeak, yasr and gnopernicus. Only disadvantage
of that is, of course, that you have to pay for it.
Speakup developers, any plans to include a software dectalk driver?