Is it possible to get Via Voice talking on a Debian System with alsa?

gena-j at ntlworld.com gena-j at ntlworld.com
Thu Jul 31 12:42:32 EDT 2003

Hi

Well the subject line says it all.

Is it possible to get Via Voice talking on a Debian System with alsa?

I used alien to convert the rpm's to deb's.  I needed to get an old
debian package to provide a library.  The package required was:

libstdc++2.9-glibc2.1_2.91.66-4.deb

Having done this and ammended the /etc/profile file accordingly, I still
get the following error:

Could not create ECI handle. Check installation.
Possible causes:
        IBM ViaVoice TTS RTK has not been installed on this machine.
        no exported ECIINI variable in /etc/profile.
        eci.ini file not in path referenced by ECIINI, nor in current
directory.        eci.ini corrupted.
        library /usr/lib/libibmeci50.so corrupted or missing.
        language files referenced in eci.ini file corrupted or missing.
Re-install IBM ViaVoice TTS RTK.
magnolia:/usr/lib/ViaVoiceTTS/samples/cmdlinespeak#

Any ideas?

Cheers

Gena