Owen: Re: Software Speech Synth with Speakup -- Help, please.

Hugh Esco hesco at greens.org
Wed Jul 30 21:09:09 EDT 2003

Chris:

Here is what I got in response to those first two questions:

hesco at biko:~$ ls -l /dev/usrdev
crw-r--r--    1 root     root     252,   0 Jul 19 22:54 /dev/usrdev
hesco at biko:~$ ls -l /proc/speakup
total 0
-rw-rw-rw-    1 root     root            0 Jul 30 20:39 attribute_bleep
-rw-rw-rw-    1 root     root            0 Jul 30 20:39 bell_pos
-rw-rw-rw-    1 root     root            0 Jul 30 20:39 bleep_time
-rw-rw-rw-    1 root     root            0 Jul 30 20:39 characters
-rw-rw-rw-    1 root     root            0 Jul 30 20:39 key_echo
-rw-rw-rw-    1 root     root            0 Jul 30 20:39 line_wrap_bleep
-rw-rw-rw-    1 root     root            0 Jul 30 20:39 no_interrupt
-r--r--r--    1 root     root            0 Jul 30 20:39 punc_all
-rw-rw-rw-    1 root     root            0 Jul 30 20:39 punc_level
-rw-rw-rw-    1 root     root            0 Jul 30 20:39 punc_most
-rw-rw-rw-    1 root     root            0 Jul 30 20:39 punc_some
-rw-rw-rw-    1 root     root            0 Jul 30 20:39 say_control
--w--w--w-    1 root     root            0 Jul 30 20:39 silent
-rw-rw-rw-    1 root     root            0 Jul 30 20:39 spell_delay
-rw-rw-rw-    1 root     root            0 Jul 30 20:39 synth
-r--r--r--    1 root     root            0 Jul 30 20:39 version
hesco at biko:~$

So, no, there is no directory in there.

Why not?  What would build that directory there?

I just edited lilo.conf to add a line:
         append="speakup_synth=usrdev"
to my Speakup stanza.

I assume I should spell it "append", not "apend" as you did?   I ran lilo
without errors.  I'm rebooting now.  We'll soon see.

Well, it booted up with no speech, but then again, the last set of changes
I made were handled manually and were not scripted in, so I'll repeat those
and see what I can get.

I went back and re-examined my notes from the last round.  I re-tested
sound, re-exported the path, used ps to check and make sure festival
--server was still running, then attempted again to invoke
middleware.  Again, I get "Failed to open file:  No such device" error.

I get the same results when I try all that as root, too.

What next?  Anyone?

-- Hugh