Owen: Re: Software Speech Synth with Speakup -- Help, please.

Christopher Moore christopher.h.moore at verizon.net
Wed Jul 30 14:25:44 EDT 2003

Hugh,

I was surprised you didn't have a festival_server in your festival/bin
directory.  My version of festival is 1.4.3 which I built from sources last
week.  Perhaps running festival with the --server option is the same as
running festival_server, but I'd need to read more docs to verify it.

You need festival to run as a server because that's how middleware
communicates with it.  I just look at the festival help screen and is says
you can invoke it as you did to go into server mode.

Did you make the /dev/usrdev devicefile with the mknod command?  Do a
% ls -l /dev/usrdev
Mine looks like:
crw-r--r--    1 root     root     252,   0 Jul 28 16:18 /dev/usrdev

You can check if you've loaded the festival speakup driver by doing an
% ls /proc/speakup

You should see a subdirectory for the festival driver.  I don't recall its
name, but it should be the only subdirectory listed.  Within it are
settings for the festival driver.

If I think of anything else, I'll pass it along.

Chris