current status of software speech with speakup

Hugh Esco hesco at greens.org
Mon Jul 21 10:50:02 EDT 2003

Mr. Ward, anyone:

Thanks for this primer, below.

(1)     As I am so close on having Speakup / Festival / Middleware working
on this machine I'm working on, any ideas what it will take to finish that
install successfully?  (My progress to date is documented in the thread:
"Any experience w/ Debian Woody Speakup Packages?")

(2)     If I were to install yasr, would it work with Speakup?  Would it
announce kernel panics during boot-up?

(3)     I already have eflite 0.3.5-2 working with emacspeak on this box,
installed from the .deb packages.  Do I still need to re-install it from
source?  Might this break my emacspeak installation?  Can you tell me more
about compiling eflite with the appropriate voices?  Where would I find
those voices?

-- Hugh