current status of software speech with speakup

Thomas D. Ward tward1978 at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 20 13:13:20 EDT 2003

Hi, Jared.
If you are looking for a software speech solution your best bet is to pass
up speakup, and use a screen reader called yasr with the flite software
speech system.
A friend of mine is working on rpms for RH 9 for yasr, eflite, and flite,
and hopefully in a few days we will have a solution which you can just
install the three rpms and have speech up and running.
I use yasr on my laptop rather than speakup for the reason it has software
speech and it is a good alternative to speakup when you need software
speech.