current status of software speech with speakup

Hugh Esco hesco at greens.org
Sun Jul 20 12:12:33 EDT 2003

Jared:

I've been struggling with this one, as well, for some time now.  The best
source I've found yet is:
         http://users.wpi.edu/~blinux
Thanks to Steve Holmes for pointing this out.

I understand that yasr or festival (both software synthesizers) will work
with speakup.  The site above describes a process for installing the
middleware to run festival.  It links to another site in Italian that is no
help to my linguistically challenged head.  I have seen no HOW-TO on making
yasr work.

I know that yasr and festival are both available as packages for
Debian.  Presumably you could find .rpm's for Redhat as well, if that is
your preference.  Apparently the pre-built Redhat and Debian
Speakup-enabled kernels do not support software synthesis and to run
Speakup without a hardware synth it is necessary to build a patched kernel
from source.

That is what I know so far.

If you were to read the "Any expereince w/ Debian Woody Speakup Packages?"
thread, you can see the blow-by-blow of my efforts to install the
middleware described on the page cited above.  I'm very close, I
think.  But still no jabbering at boot-up or in a shell.

-- Hugh Esco