Visualy impaired

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at sent.com
Wed Jul 16 17:53:42 EDT 2003

Hi Nigel and all,

I was really surprised by your reporting such difficulty with
Linux, as was Ann. I am a Slackware user and have found it to be
easy to install without a monitor, although I cannot say if it is
easier or harder than the other distros, since it is the only
distribution I have ever used.

If the problem is unfamiliarity with some of the basic concepts
and terminology of unix/linux systems, such as the conventions of
naming files, directories, permissions, and such stuff, maybe a
unix tutorial will help. Here is a useful one, which perhaps
Windows with JFW will not screw up too badly for you to use:

http://www.wizvax.net/wizvax/UNIX/index.html

As for who is and who is not blind, or who is and who is not a
developer, Ann's points were well taken. Most everybody on this
list is blind, although a few may be passing <smile>. As far as I
know, all the speakup developers are themselves blind, and many
of us who are only enthusiastic beta testers of speakup are
nevertheless developers of other products. Most of us have chosen
Linux because we are committed to the open source free software
model, but also because of the incredible amount and quality of
accessible documentation available right there on the desktop
that comes with every Linux distribution.

I hope you will give Linux a real try before settling for a
future limited to Windows, JFW, and the world of commercial
burdens and restrictions.

Chuck

--
The Moon is Waning Gibbous (88% of Full)
Get my public key from the website, http://www.mhonline.net/~chuckh