Visualy impaired

Ann Parsons akp at eznet.net
Wed Jul 16 16:45:48 EDT 2003

Hi all,

    Nigel> Hi all, Not being able to look at a computer screen
    Nigel> means that it is very difficult to get information on
    Nigel> linux.

Oh, really?  Interesting, an OS that has megabytes of good
documentation in either txt or html format is hard to access if you
can't read the screen?  An operating system that has documentation for
each utility and each program and howtos for installation that, if you
know what you're reading, can help you install the complete
distribution is hard to access without looking at the screen?  An
operating system whose makers believe that one should have access to
complete documentation is difficult to access because you can't read
the screen?  Hmmmmmm, interesting.

    Nigel> I have found a 8.1 version of slackware and installing
    Nigel> speakup sounds pretty tricky.  Particularly as i will
    Nigel> not be able to look at the screen.

Perhaps Slackware is not the distribution you want.  Might I suggest
Debian?  I'm not positive on this point, but I think the speakup
modules and so on exist for Slackware.  What makes you think it would
be so difficult?  If you know how to answer the questions, access is
no problem.

    Nigel> I was wondering if there are other visualy impaired
    Nigel> users of speakup on this list or if it is for
    Nigel> developers.  I have been using jaws to look at linux
    Nigel> stuff most of the afternoon but the more i read the more
    Nigel> it feels like its harder than blind folded brain
    Nigel> surgery.  I am starting to think i would be better off
    Nigel> sticking with windows for the moment.

Oh, my stars and garters!  O my eyes and teeth!  Let me see if I have
your logic straight here, Nigel.  User equals blind.  Programmer
equals sighted.  All users are blind.  All programmers are sighted.
No users are programmers, therefore no users are sighted.  And
finally, all programmers are not users, therefore programmer equals
sighted?

this is very interesting logic.  Just exactly how did you arrive at
this logic?  Where did you get the parts of this silogism?
Unfortunately, your information is faulty, therefore your logic is
faulty and therefore your silogism doesn't compute.    Here is the
correct info.

Most all members of this discussion group are blind.  All members of
this discussion list use Speakup.  Many members of this discussion
list are programmers who are programming their own screen reader for
Linux, i.e. speakup.  Therefore, all programmers of Speakup use their
own program.  All users are blind.  In finally, there are no sighted
programmers who are currently working on the development of Speakup.
Therefore, access to an eyes-free installation is assured!

    Nigel> I have been looking at a linux newbies questions web
    Nigel> site for slackware but its not very accessable using
    Nigel> jaws.

Well, you might want to look at:'

http://www.linux-speakup.org

You might conceivably find some information there which might be
useful.

Ann P.

--
			Ann K. Parsons