Recognizing a hard drive

Shaun Oliver shaun_oliver at optusnet.com.au
Tue Jul 15 05:39:01 EDT 2003

*SNIP*
Use mkfs2ext, I think it is, again as root, to build the
file systems.  I may have that second command wrong.

you're right about it being wrong,
the command is mke2fs /dev/xxx where xxx is the partition number you
want to format.
if I remember some of my basics correctly, and anyone feel free to jump
down my throat and tell me to go learn it again if I have it wrong,
your ide devices are listed as follows.
/dev/hda the primary master,
/dev/hda1 through 4 are the first 4 primary partitions on the disk
/dev/hda5 is an extended partition and anything above that is a logical
partition.
/dev/hdb if memory serves is the second ide device on the first ide
channel.
and /dev/hdc is the secondary master on the second ide channel and
/dev/hdd is the secondary slave on that second ide channel.
I hope I got it right please god let it be so.

--
Shaun Oliver
"Becareful of the toes u step on today, they maybe connected to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!"

EMAIL: shaun_oliver at optusnet.com.au
ICQ: 76958435
YAHOO: blindman01_2000
MSN: blindman_2001 at hotmail.com
AIM: captain nemo 200
IRC: irc.awesomechat.net:6666
IRCNICK: blindman
CHANNELS: #awesomeradio #mircpopup-magic #linux #help #ourworld #audiofile #mauisun