mysql question

Hugh Esco hesco at greens.org
Sun Jul 13 17:35:03 EDT 2003

In addition to the networking issues which look like editing, as root,
/etc/hosts.allow and hosts.deny in Debian, once you get into mysql, you
need to make sure that no firewall is denying connections on its port,
usually 3306 or was it 5432, (as I recall?) , and you also have to, as the
mysql user _root_, add records to the mysql.user table which define what
users you will allow what access and privileges from what hosts at your
mysql server.  Err on the side of caution and define access as narrowly as
you can and still get the work done.

-- Hugh