SpeakUp Newbie

John covici covici at ccs.covici.com
Sat Jul 5 06:11:07 EDT 2003

Well, as of now, you will need a piece of hardware -- this may
change, but not quickly.

It will cost you some significant money -- the Lighttalk is going to
be in the $300 u.s. range -- other things are more expensive unless
you can get them used.

zipspeak is no longer being maintained, so that is no longer an
option.

If you just want to play, there are two linux distributions on a cd
which talk, which are both derivations of knoppix.  To do those, you
would have to download them and burn the cds yourself.

One is based on speakup which not in its final location at
ftp.braille.uwo.ca and the other one is based on emacspeak which is
at http://oralux.org .

Also, I highly recomend you get speakfreely and get on the reflector
and ask there -- you will find people on there who will give you a
few pointers along this road.

I hope some of  these help you.

P.S.  The from: line does point back to the person, but if you notice
there is a reply which points back to the list.  Also, if you could
turn off your html, this would be helpful on this list.

on Saturday 07/05/2003 Stoppard(stoppard at ntlworld.com) wrote

--
         John Covici
         covici at ccs.covici.com