what is the easiest linux release to install?

lorenzo at princenet.sytes.net lorenzo at princenet.sytes.net
Tue Jul 1 11:48:38 EDT 2003

Probably the easiest distro to install without sighted help is
Slackware, as it has speakup built in.  It is, however, a little short
in the hardware detection area.  You could also try Redhat with a
kickstart file.  You can create this file and then use it to install
Redhat automatically.  You will, however, have to be very selective as
far as which packages are installed, as Redhat is larger than 1.5Gb.
Also, if you have t2 computers, you can install Redhat via telnet.  You
could also install Redhat 8.0 with Speakup, as it is built into the
kernel.

HTH.

					Lorenzo
--
> : Any porters out there should feel happier knowing that DEC is shipping
> : me an AlphaPC that I intend to try getting linux running on: this will
> : definitely help flush out some of the most flagrant unportable stuff.
> : The Alpha is much more different from the i386 than the 68k stuff is, so
> : it's likely to get most of the stuff fixed.
>
> It's posts like this that almost convince us non-believers that there
> really is a god.
(A follow-up by alovell at kerberos.demon.co.uk, Anthony Lovell, to Linus's
remarks about porting)