unbootable HD, the solution

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Mon Jan 27 21:25:50 EST 2003

Many years ago the very same thing happened to me. It was on my work
system which had just been donated to my employer, World Institute on
Disability, by HP. This was in the early 1990s, and this was a smoking
machine for that time. In fact, it was my first hd that exceeded 1gB.
The cpu was a 486/33.

On that machine, the problem was intermittant. Sometimes everything
worked fine. Then, out of the blue, files were reported missing.

Of course, it was my fault. It was the speech. It was the screen reader.
It was the OS. It was the everything except what it was--a bad hd.
Finally, I got someone to replace the hd and never had a problem with
that system again.