Soundcards Revisited

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Fri Jan 24 04:07:25 EST 2003

There is documentation on the modules in the kernel source directory
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/sound or similar.
If you have a modern system with PCI slots you need to tell the bios
to allocate irq5 to legacy isa
so that it will show on the isa bus  otherwise Linux may never see
the interrupts from the card.
It is also possible that y ou can configure this with the pci routing subsystem
in 2.4.x and bypass the bios altogether but it is recommended
you use the bios.
non-plug 'n' play cards software set the resources; the defaults
for an sb16 are i/o port 0x220 irq 5 dma1=1 and dma2=5
Check the modules documentation you need to edit /etc/modules.conf
and put in a line like
options sb16 io=0x220 irq=5 dma1=1 dma2=5

then modprobe sb16.
If you run redhat there is a sndconfig util you can run;
not sure about slackware etc. Does the box also run windows?
What are the resource settings there?

Regards, Kerry.