Soundcards Revisited

Adam Myrow amyrow at midsouth.rr.com
Thu Jan 23 21:38:25 EST 2003

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003, Alex Snow wrote:

> Hi.
> That worked! It detected my sb16 during boot, and it's now listed in
> /proc/interrupts and /proc/ioports.  So now should I try loading the alsa
> module with the correct params?

No, because the OSS drivers are already loaded.  Test the card after
detection.  Slackware has a mixer program called rexima which is very easy
to use.  Just type rexima and use the numeric keypad 8 (say current line)
key to find out what values are set for volume, microphone, etc.  Adjust
the volume and microphone to some reasonable value and try out the
command-line play and record utilities.  You select what you want to
adjust with the up/down arrow keys and the left/right arrow keys change
values.  Pressing space on the microphone or line toggles whether you can
record from it or not.  Press "q" when done adjusting mixer values.  Try
"play somefile.wav" and "rec somefile.wav."  Substitute some other
filenames.  If you can play and record sounds, the IRQ and address are
right.  You'll have to comment out that line again in order to load the
Alsa drivers.  I've never used a non-PNP card, so I'm not familiar with
how to pass options to Alsa, but you'll need to get the Alsa drivers to
use the same IRQ and base address that the OSS ones did.  Good luck and
let us know how it goes.