Silencing fetchmail

Adam Myrow amyrow at midsouth.rr.com
Mon Jan 20 10:20:24 EST 2003

Yeah, it's called biff and for some stupid reason, it gets turned on by
default.  You can get rid of this annoyance as follows.  As root, edit
/etc/profile and fine the following lines.

if [ -x /usr/bin/biff ]; then
 biff y
fi

Either delete them, or add a number sign in front of each  so that they
look like this.\

#if [ -x /usr/bin/biff ]; then
# biff y
#fi

Another way is to put "biff n" as the last line of your .profile or
.bash_profile, but since this is an absolutely useless and annoying
program, I prefer to disable it systemwide.  It is the first thing I do
when I install a fresh copy of Slackware.