unbootable hard disk

Kirk Reiser kirk at braille.uwo.ca
Sat Jan 18 07:03:29 EST 2003

Hi Chuck:  Boy frustrating and confusing.  I can't tell you what it is
but here's some more data to collect which may help resolve the
problem.  First of all lilo.  Can you hit a shift key after the boot
up beep and get a boot prompt using the hard drive?  This test is to
test if infact it is seeing the drive at all?

It almost sounds like an addressing problem between linear block
addressing and the older style.  Is lba mode turned on in the advanced
bios settings?

What do you have compiled into your kernel?  Is dma and udma used by
default when available compiled in?

Is there raid hardware on the new mother board?  I have heard of folks
having problems with raid hardware but nothing specific.

Well, that's it for now.  Check those out and see what you have.

  Kirk

phone: (519) 661-3061