ide problem

Scott Howell showell at lrxms.net
Thu Jan 16 19:41:57 EST 2003

If you want to make it possible to swap drives in and out etc. here is a
suggestion. Most newer and probably a good number of older boards allow
you to set the drives as auto detect. This allows you to put in whatever
drive and on boot the bios will detect what you put in. It does slow
boot some, but not so bad. I've been using that on the second ide
channel on my box as it allows exactly what you wish to do. The only
thing you need to be sure of is how things are jumpered on the drives.
Cable select is nice, but does not necessarily work with all drives.
Cable select apparently allows you to slap a drive anywhere on the cable
and master and slave configuration isn't necessarily needing to be done
on the drive itself. I've seen mixed results with such a configuration.

good luck

Scott