Configuration Files

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at novocon.net
Fri Feb 28 16:55:22 EST 2003

Here is how I do it:

I maintain a directory under /etc called speakup which contains
all the elements of /proc/speakup which are configurable. Some
elements under /proc/speakup are not configurable; they are
read-only. But such things as rate, pitch, punc_level, and the
strings for some and most punctuation, can be written as well as
read.

I have a command in my /etc/rc.d/rc.local, and again in
/etc/profile, like this:

cp -R /etc/speakup /proc

so that on bootup and whenever a user logs in, speakup is
configured to whatever the values are in the /etc/speakup
directory.

So to change something I must either write the new value to
/proc/speakup, or else edit the stuff in /etc/speakup and then
execute a command such as shown above.

This is not particularly user friendly either, but it is a good
starting point. I believe Janina and others who use more than one
synth from time to time have worked out an even more elaborate
but more flexible method of saving and restoring speakup
parameters.

HTH -

Chuck

So visit me sometime at http://www.mhonline.net/~chuckh