Configuration Files

Luke Davis ldavis at shellworld.net
Fri Feb 28 15:25:36 EST 2003

I am going to start work on modifying some aspects of Speakup.

The first thing I want to make possible, is some standardized interface
for a configuration file.  After which, I will try to start work on some
options that I need for my own work.

As yet, I have found no way in Speakup to control spoken punctuation,
among other things, in standard reading mode.  For example, in pine, I
normally note messages sent directly to me, by running quickly through the
index, and looking for plus signs at the beginning of the line.  In
Speakup, however, I have to park the curser, then go down, and read
current character, go down and read current character, etc., since it will
not automaticly say the plus sign during normal reading.

Also, being a programmer, and something of a linguist, I like to know of
all punctuation that is not understood from context.  In other words, I
have my normal screen reader (Tinytalk, which, btw, seems to oddly have a
lot in common with Speakup, to my surprise and delight), say all
punctuation other than period, question mark, comma, and exclamation
point (all of which can be understood from context, whereas
;()[]{}"':`~@#$%^&*/<>, etc., can not).

As such, making this customizable, will be my first effort, unless (1)
someone else is already working on it; (2) it is far harder than I
think it will be; or (3) it is already possible, and I am not well read
enough to know it (very possible).

Are any of those true--am I barking up the wrong binary tree; or should I
do this?

I am going to reread all of the docs before I start, but I am not booted
to Linux right now, and thought I would post this while still in my normal
environment, so I didn't have to bother with minicom.

Apologies if I'm stepping on anybody's toes.  I have to say, that despite
my critical comments (said opinions having not changed, re the kernel, and
so on), I am *highly* impressed with Speakup, and wish to commend those
who have been developing it.

There are some bugs, which I will address later, and I think the changes
file is a bit out of date.

 Thanks

Luke