running vacation

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at novocon.net
Thu Feb 27 09:28:48 EST 2003

Paul,

I cannot help you with the vacation program, but I have recently
done something similar which you may find helpful. When I changed
email addresses recently I implemented an autoresponder in my
procmail configuration to advise persons writing to my old
address about the change and informing them of the new address.
Both addresses are active for the time being, and my fetchmail
daemon samples each of them periodically. I am including the
section of my .procmailrc file that implements the autoresponder
feature. If you copy and modify it, be extremely careful of the
punctuation, it is critical. One thing I did here which the man
page does not describe is to send a CC of my autoresponse to my
own root account (postmaster at localhost) so I can keep a record of
who has been sent the notice and who has not.

----------
# put autoresponder recipe next
:0 h c
  * chuckh at mhonline.net
 * !^FROM_DAEMON
 | (formail -r -A"cc: postmaster at localhost" \
 -A"X-Loop: chuckh at mhonline.net" ; \
 echo "This is a Linux procmail autoresponder message." ; \
 echo "Your email to chuckh at mhonline.net has reached me okay." ; \
 echo "Please send all future email to chuckh at novocon.net instead."; \
 echo "Thank you -- Chuck H.") | $SENDMAIL -t
# put all other recipes next

Hope that helps...
Chuck

So visit me sometime at http://www.mhonline.net/~chuckh