curious proftpd problem

Igor Gueths igueths at attbi.com
Mon Feb 24 20:04:00 EST 2003

Hi. I have since fixed most of my proftpd problems, however I just
upgraded to proftpd-1.2.7 and am noticing a very interesting occurance.
Whenever I connect with localhost and log in using ftp, it says remote
system type is Unix. I can also log in as any other system user. However,
when I ssh into another Linux machine which is a Redhat system, and I
connect I can login as ftp. However, it says "remote system type is
Windows_nt. And as a result, I get no file listings. I also can't remotely
log in as other system users. Does anyone know why Proftpd would identify
a Linux machine as windows_nt and not transfer any files once an Ascii
connection is opened? And if this is a bug in the current version, which
version should I backtrack to? Perhaps the latest Debian package? I also
tried 1.2.8RC2 and got the same problems as in 1.2.7. Anyone have any
ideas on this one? Thanks in advance!

May you code in the power of the source,
may the kernel, libraries, and utilities be with you,
throughout all distributions until the end of the epoch.