May have solved my 80-gig hd problem

Aaron Howell aaron at kitten.net.au
Sun Feb 23 18:08:41 EST 2003

Funnily enough, i had the same problem with my new maxtor 80gb drive.
The bios was quite happy to see it if it was set to slave (allbeit only as a 32gb drive),
but it flat out refused to boot if the drive was set to master or cable select.
It would get to detecting primary master and halt.
Given that it was an atrend motherboard, and atrend either don't seem to be in busines anymore, or, their website just plain doesn't work, my solution was to go buy a new bard, chip,  ram and case,
and my poor old celeron 466 from 5 years ago has finally been retired.
The new board (intel i845pebp2) finds the drive without a hitch.
Regards
Aaron