red hat 8.0 and boot file

Darrell Shandrow nu7i at azboss.net
Sun Feb 23 11:03:04 EST 2003

Hi Danny,

Well, the Speakup screen reader is built right into the kernel.  So, the
vmlinuz file would be the file containing Speakup.  There's then a boot
loader configuration file that directs the kernel, and this contains the
parameter that tells Speakup which synthesizer to use.  I believe RH 7.2
still runs Lilo, so you're looking for /etc/lilo.conf.

Now, keep in mind that RH 8 includes Speakup in its kernel.  Load the RH 8
boot floppy into your floppy drive, boot from it, then type the following
command to start the install with speech:
text speakup_synth=name (where name is the appropriate value from Speakup)

Check out http://www.linux-speakup.org for further details.

A+, CCNA, Network+!
My deepest sympathies to the families and friends of the astronauts lost in
the 2/1/03 space shuttle explosion!