patching synthesizer to sound card

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Mon Feb 17 22:07:15 EST 2003

Pops aren't explained by impedence. Neither is a noisy background in the
signal.

The pops themselves are exactly the kind of pop you get by going from 0
to full volume instantly in a voltage gate. Maybe some of you folks
might know about that? On the other hand, ramping the signal up quickly
would avoid that kind of pop entirely.

For the record, line level impedence is 500 ohms, and headphone
impedence is 8 ohms. So, plugging your headphone into the line output
will get you hardly any volume. Plugging a headphone output into a line
on a mixer will work, but you have to be very careful to keep the volume
extremely low, as the signalo is very hot that way. Generally, this
isn't recommended, of course.