Network errors

Patrick Turnage patrickt at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Feb 10 12:23:31 EST 2003

Hi
Lets determine a few things.
First of all it looks like you are missing some packages notably dhcpcd and
inetd. There is no way to know if your system is complete and I would
recommend that you reinstall and choose the complete install of disksets a
ap d e f n k if you want you can leave out f. also yo u can leave out y and
tcl and all the x disksets. I usually do this and then delete packages I
don't want later.. After that.

First are you getting an address from your dhcp server?
do
ifconfig eth0
and see if it gives an address you'll see init address 1.2.3.4
if so then check to ensure you can ping your providers gateway this would be
ping 1.2.3.1 if your providers gateway doesn't let you ping it ping a site
like

ping 216.109.125.65
this is the IP of one of many of yahoo's IPs. It will respond if everything
is working.
If the ping is successful then varify that you have a resolve.conf file in
place
you can create one like this
cd /etc
cat >resolv.conf
search rr.com
nameserver 24.30.200.3
then press control c
then try to ping www.yahoo.com
if it works you should be fine.
If not here are some things to check.
try running the command
dhcpcd -h hostname
when I was looking at some computers from some cable companies like comcast
they required a specific hostname like
CC1030455B
so you would have to do dhcpcd -h hostname to get it to work
One more thing some cable companies requires you to call them and give them
the new MAC address of your network card. Also if this is another computer
you may have to cycle the power on your cable modem. Unplug the modem for
approx 35-45 seconds or up to a minute to be sure then replace it's
electrical connection and try again. Do not forget to call tech support to
give another MAC address if you try everything and it still does not work.

-----
Patrick Turnage
E-mail: pturnage at tampabay.rr.com
AOL Instant Messenger: kg4dqk
Home Page:
http://www.access-connect.com
Connecting the world to access technology information.