help needed to conect to internet

Shaun Oliver shaun_oliver at optusnet.com.au
Wed Feb 5 06:11:13 EST 2003

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003,  wrote:

> Hi, I believe this is the case. My net card is a PCI/Fast ethernet dec 21143
> and If I found correct information in internet, it is not supported by
> Linux.
> I heard about a package called tulip but I don't have the skills to do the
> system modifications yet. I am very new to Linux and I couldn't understand
> yet how things work.
>     Alexandre

hi, what distrobution of linux are you using, because afaik, tulip is
infact supported by the kernel and has been so for some time.
since kernel 2.2x as far as I can remember.
if you're running slackware, or zipspeak with is just a stripped down
version of slackware, the netconfig utility should ask if you want to
probe for yer ethernet card.
although I seem to remember slackware having a problem with dhcp. I don't
know if this is rectified yet as I haven't tried ever to configure dhcp on
slackware since I found assigning a static ip address to be sufficent for
my needs.
hth
and for us to be more helpfull, we need as much info as you can give us.
but, that will come with time and many reminders.
hth.