starting mysql

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Sat Feb 1 16:53:21 EST 2003

I don't know, as I have Slackware 8.1 and I use postgresql rather than
mysql.  I installed postgresql from sources.  If mysql is anything
like postgres, the focal point is the creation of a super user account
for management of the databases.  Since mysql came from a slackware
package, you might want to look at the package contents; look at
/var/log/packages/mysql-.....
and see what files are in there.  It probably launched the database
server for you already.

I should say that any of these database systems have quite a bit
involved and there is generally a "client" piece you use to interact
with the system.  Look for /usr/doc/mysql... files.  I don't know your
SQL server experience with this but hope this helps some.