Shopping via lynx

Adam Myrow amyrow at midsouth.rr.com
Sat Feb 1 07:27:30 EST 2003

My experience is that if you have an SSL-enabled lynx, some sites work
while others insist you need Internet Explorer or Netscape.  Others just
use Javascript, making them useless.  Some which have worked for me
include the Slackware official web site and Universal Radio.  I don't do a
lot of online shopping, so don't know exactly what percentage of sites
work and which do not.  I just know that, like I said, some do and some
don't.  To check whether your Lynx has SSL support, type "lynx -version."
It will talk about SSL and Openssl if it has it.  Also, you need cooky
support in a lot of cases since the sites use cookies to keep track of
what you have in your "shopping cart."  Most pre-built binaries now seem
to have the needed support, but check if you have an older version of
Linux.