speech ingens

Tom and Esther Ward tward1978 at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 30 23:18:30 EST 2003

As far as a free software synth festival is the best there is right now.  If
you want a synth that sounds better there is the Dectalk software from Fonix
which costs about $50, but one problem is that is very slow while editing
text documents in gedit where festival is very prompt for me. As for
festival sounding like a chipmunk I can tell you that is not normal
behavior. There can be one of two problems here.

1. Configuring the speech rate, pitch etc.. If you haven't already done so
switch to layer 8 and configure your speech to how you want it to sound.
2. Some sound cards under Fedora don't get properly configured causing sound
cards to make speech sound very strange. I tried Fedora a while back and my
dectalk software sounded like a chipmunk no matter what I did to set the
pitch and rate, but when I removed Fedora and put Mandrake 9.2 on the
problem totally vanished. So there seams to be something up with Fedora and
soundcards.
In fact, every software speech system I tried had the same problems under
Fedora, and the all work fine on the same computer with Mandrake. Any
conclusions?