cell phones, which one has the best service?

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Sun Dec 28 13:09:29 EST 2003

I don't think you're going to get an answer to this question that's
worth anything if you're expecting someone to say something like "Use
Company X."

First of all, what do you mean by service? I presume you mean
coverage--that you're able to make and receive calls. Well, you don't
tell us where you live. And, I shouldn't presume. Perhaps you mean
service as in "customer service," meaning accessible billing, easy to
use "home many minutes do I have left?" features, etc., etc.

Let me give you one simple example. Where I live, which is the
Washington, DC area, some of our wireless carriers provide coverage in
the Washington Metro. If you don't know, the Washington Metro is our
local train system, some of which is underground as in a subway. Other
carriers do not provide this coverage. So, is this kind of coverage
important to you?

Other people here in Washington drive certain roads which do not have
coverage by certain carriers but do have coverage from other carriers.
Do you need to know about that?

So, even to answer this question in Washington, DC is a matter of
identifying what your needs are.

Ultimately, this may not be an accessibility question at all. M aybe you
need to check for lists or news groups that are local to where you
live--or that discuss the places you travel to frequently.

cris writes:
> From: "cris" <filastin48 at hotmail.com>
>
> Hi folks,
> Much has been said about cell phones and accessibility.  My question is:
> Which company has the best cell service in North America?  I heard a lot of
> bad things about At&T and mixed views of Verizon.  Currently I have AT&T,
> and was recommended to try Singular.  I like to hear privately from those
> who have experience to share.  I have not signed any contracts yet.  My free
> trial period with At&T is about to expire.  I want to decide soon if I
> should keep it or try another service.  Please reply privately so as not to
> cluttre the list.
> Cheers,
> Cris

Janina Sajka
Email: janina at rednote.net
Phone: (202) 408-8175

Director, Technology Research and Development
American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)
http://www.afb.org

Chair, Accessibility Work Group
Free Standards Group