Talking bios

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Wed Dec 24 12:25:19 EST 2003

As a matter of principle, I would agree with you. But, there's a problem
here. Ultimately, the computer boots from a very simple command/call.
That bootstraps the next call, which then bootstraps a bit more. In the
initial instance, these are very simple calls that don't support any
kind of fancy stuff like painting pretty pictures on screen, let alone a
self-voicing application.

Of course, some of the discussion here has been about bios applications
that are huge and could support fancy features like pretty pictures of
many splash screens, and perhaps even some self-voicing.

But, I can promise you that people, in general, aren't going to want
their computers chatting up the bios as the system boots. So, you're
driven back to some mechanism to make that start. What would that be?
And, how do you know when to engage that mechanism:? Please recognize
that there was a minor war over putting a simple Ctrl-G into the GDM
application to let us know that we could now login to the now speech
enabled graphical desktop. We have one beep, sometimes, when bios leaves
and system OS booting starts. I would expect major complaints over yet
another beep.

Besides, how are you going to debug a badly behaving bios if you expect
it to be self-voicing? And if it isn't self-voicing, how does it provide
access except that it talks to some device that you hook up, which
brings you full circle to where I reported on connecting a BNS to take
advantage of serial terminal capacities in the DEC computer I have.

I don't see how we get around the need to connect a smarter device to a,
as yet very dumb system in order to fully satisfy our need to configure
without sighted assistance.