[ma-linux] How do I fix this mail header?

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Tue Dec 16 16:57:42 EST 2003

 Here's the salient portion of the 'Returned Mail' message:

    ... while talking to stpete.freedomscientific.com.:
    >>> MAIL From:<janina at cantata.rednote.net> AUTH=<>
    <<< 501 Syntax error - badly formatted address
    501 5.6.0 Data format error

    First of all, is this garbled? Should the 'auth=' show up on the
    same line as the 'From:'? Or is this just an artifact of the error
    handler?

    Second, what controls the auth= field? How would I even go about
    stripping this empty field? Better still, how do I set it to reflect
    a true value?

    I'm perplexed by the authentication docs on this point. They seem to
    refer to this variable, but I don't see where/how it's defined for
    sendmail.

    PS: I am using cyrus sasl and starttls to authenticate mail from my
    portable while I'm on the road. I believe it's working correctly.