fedora/speakup/me doing something wrong?

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Fri Dec 5 10:14:38 EST 2003

I would like to elaborate on this if I can.  I've been noticing lately
a similar problem with loss of speech/feedback.  for me it seems to
happen if I mess with the newly restored cursoring toggle key.  If I
go into one of these fancy curses based programs like ncftp's
bookmarks manager, alsamixer or whatever and then turn cursoring off,
I can hear the menu or highlighted choices like we always used to but
some how, after using speakup in this mode I'll later loos all
feedback.  I can read around manually as was mentioned below but I get
no keyboard echo and no automatic speech of any new text placed onto
the screen.  The only way I've ever gotten full functionality back was
to reboot the computer and keep my hands off the cursor toggle:).

This is with a recent CVS version of speakup loading as modules on a
2.4.21 kernel.
Speakup v-2.00 CVS: Wed Nov 12 15:52:50 EST 2003
synth spkout version 1.1

I'm glad this came up and further glad I'm not the only one to observe
this:).

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 05:04:17PM -0500, Alex Snow wrote:
> Hi all.
> I'm not sure if this is a bug in speakup, fedora, the linux kernel, or
> something I screwed up:
> whenever I enter an editor like nano or emacs and cursoring turns on I
> loose all feedback. I can review the screen with the reviewing keys bt I
> get no feadback from the keyboard nor stuff that gets written to the
> screen. I have to manually read it.
> I'm going to try to downgrade to speakup 1.5 tomorrow and see if that
> works.
> I'm using fedora core 1 with an artic transport.
>
> --
> Always borrow money from a pessimist; he doesn't expect to be paid
> back.

HolmesGrown Solutions
The best solutions for the best price!
http://ld.net/?holmesgrown