getting gnome running under debian

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Thu Dec 4 22:38:12 EST 2003

Hi all.

I've decided to setup gnome on my play box, mostly because I was lazy,
and didn't feel like compiling festival under slackware, and as I
hoped, there were binary festival packages already available for
debian, so I installed that.

Anyway, I seem to have everything installed (gnome and dependencies,
gnopernicus and dependencies, xfree86-common and dependencies,
ETC.). When the system starts, I'm told that gdm is being started, and
then I get my standard login prompt. Then, something like this comes
up:

missing display, cannot find console dialogue

I'm not sure if that's the exact text, since it's not on the screen for me
to cut and paste here, but it's close to what it actually says.

Could someone please enlighten me as to what I'm missing?
Thanks.

Greg