text to html

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Sun Aug 31 15:34:19 EDT 2003

I imagine by now you have seen the three message response I have posted.
One side benefit of writing and researching that document is that I can
now use the W3C's own words, far more diplomatically cast than mine, in
responding to you. Once again, I'm responding here to the part of your
message were you say (and I quote):

"I myself am low vision, and use screen readers; however, I also use my site
when I can. And I am telling you as a user that visually the pre element tag is not inaccessible."

I believe the following quote from the WCAG, also included in my
response, is germane and critical to a proper understanding of first
person analysis. Please note, had you said something like "I don't find
it inaccessible," or perhaps "it seems accessible to me," I would have
no complaint with your statement. But, you didn't say anything like
that, so I quote you the following from the introduction of WCAG 1.0
(available on the web at

http://www.w3.org/TR/WAI-WEBCONTENT/#Introduction

   "For those unfamiliar with accessibility issues pertaining to Web page
      design, consider that many users may be operating in contexts very
         different from your own: ... "

I am doing my best to say to you that personal experience is only part of the
story.