sending outgoing mail

Christopher Moore christopher.h.moore at verizon.net
Tue Aug 26 16:01:12 EDT 2003

Hello Tommy,
I am also using verizon and had to deal with this problem several months
ago.  Verizon requires PLAIN authentication ofoutgoing mail.  I'm running
slackware which uses sendmail as the mail delivery program.  If redhat is
using something else I can't give you specific instructions.

You need to get a hold of cyrus-sasl-1.5.28 and build it to handle the
PLAIN authentication.  There are many other authentication mechanisms,but
Verizon uses to PLAIN method which is probably the least sophisticated one
but is used to MS Outlook express.

Once you've built the sasl library, you'll need to recompile your sendmail
to include the libary.  You'll then need to reconfigure your sendmail to
enable the authentication.

If you're interested in help, you can write me privately so as not to bore
the speakup list with the details.

Chris