Where would you like to go today?

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Sat Aug 23 13:52:15 EDT 2003

Ann, sure makes a lot of sense to me.

I think what gets me the most about Billy boy's piece of junk is that
everybody assumes you're running it. Whenever you buy a piece of
hardware, or sign up for some type of computer based service today,
99% of the time the question is "what version of windows do you run".
I love the answer I give, "I don't run windows". After that, there is
that stunned silence, as in "well, what else is there to run". After a
bit of suspense, I relish saying "I run Slackware gnu/linux". Then,
most often, there is another silence of puzzlement, as in "why would
you want to run that when microsoft can give you the universe". Then,
there may be the question of "what is
Slackware". Some people know about redhat and debian, but after that,
it seems like those are the only 2 gnu/linux distros ever invented.

Once I was walking with another student who I ran into on the way to
class on my university campus. We naturally got to talking about our
majors and so forth. Since I am a computer science major, this person
eventually asked me "are you going to get certified by microsoft"? My
answer was "no, I hate microsoft and their products/services". This
person was rather taken it back, and I bet any other cs major he might
have talked to probably told him that they would be happy to lick
microsoft's boots in contentment.

Ok, enough of my little rant.

Greg