Help to me

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Sat Aug 23 11:42:12 EDT 2003

Hi, Bastono:

Welcome to to Linux and welcome to the Speakup list.

In the long run you will be happiest if you find a way to get a good
hardware speech synthesizer. I understand that doing this may be a
burden for you, but you will always be goad you have one after the pain
of getting it has been forgotten. It is possible to get a Doubletalk LT
(also known as a Litetalk) for as little as $150 U.S. These units are
still available new for just under $300 U.S. My advice to you is that
you make it a goal to get a hardware synth eventually. Get familiar with
the synths supported by Speakup and start saving for one, and start
looking around for one to buy.

Meanwhile, you can use the Linux console and emacs with yasr and
emacspeak respectively, using flite as your speech driver. Look at:

http://eflite.sf.net

The rest of the information and software you need is hyperlinked from
this page.

Of course, this means working in English. But, I advise taking your
time. You can certainly afford to have all the freely available software
speech that exists for Linux. So, since cost isn't a problem, start with
the simple things before you take on the more difficult ones.
Interfacing Festival to Speakup or Emacspeak is more difficult, so work
on that after you have flite and eflite working for you.