more on Zinf problem

Adam Myrow amyrow at midsouth.rr.com
Mon Aug 18 18:32:07 EDT 2003

Well, further investigation reveals that I can, for example, stream Kirk's
OGG stream from the command line with either Zinf or the very simple
ogg123 that comes with the Vorbis tools.  However, I can't get this to
work from within lynx.  I put a line "application/ogg; zinf %s" in my
.mailcap file, but that tries to download the stream to a temporary file.
This works for Realplayer, but not this stream.  The man page for mailcap
doesn't say how to pass the URL to a program because it assumes that you
are viewing something from an email package.  Also, I can't get Zinf to
work with ".pls" playlist files either from lynx or the command line.  It
just sits and does nothing.  It seems to not mind .m3u files.

Speaking of playlists, how does one go about creating a playlist that Zinf
will like from within Linux?  Ogg123 can take a simple ASCII file
containing a list, but because it can't seek forward and back nor pause,
it isn't a very good player.