a distro designed for booting over the network

Tommy Moore tmoore at cmrc.org
Tue Aug 12 06:23:38 EDT 2003

Hi Greg.
As far as I know you can put any size drive you want in an old system like that and under Linux it will work.
Yes the bios may only be able to see 2 GB, but fdisk that comes with Linux will work with it anyway.
Feel free to stick a larger drive in the machine if you wish.

As to playing with distros that support network  based boots your probably stuck with rolling your own or using some sort of clustering solution.
Rolling your own could be quite fun.  If you wish to do this I suggest starting by compiling the Linux From Scratch distro so you get a really good idea how things work under the hood if your not too good at the Linux boot process and modifying this after you get the basic system installed and you can modify it so that you can access it as an nfs root device.

Have fun.

Tommy