mgetty+sendfax

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Wed Aug 6 20:45:02 EDT 2003

Hi all.

Thanks to all those who answered my bash scripting question.
I'm running into more problems, so maybe I'm better off describing
what it is I'm trying to do.

Basically, I want to have a script that will accept a phone number,
and the name of a text file on the command line.
It would then use ghost script to turn the txt file into a g3 file,
and envoke sendfax to send a fax.

When I want to convert a text file to a g3 file with gs, I am doing:

gs -sDEVICE=faxg3 -sOutputFile=/tmp/fax.g3.%d file.txt

but, I get a whole bunch of error messages from gs:

GNU Ghostscript 5.50 (2000-2-13)
Copyright (C) 1998 Aladdin Enterprises, Menlo Park, CA.  All rights
reserved.
This software comes with NO WARRANTY: see the file COPYING for
details.
Error: /undefined in This
Operand stack:

Execution stack:
   %interp_exit   .runexec2   --nostringval--   --nostringval--
   --nostringval--   2   %stopped_push   --nostringval--   2   3
  %oparray_pop   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   false   1
   %stopped_push   1   3   %oparray_pop   1   3   %oparray_pop   1   3
   %oparray_pop   .runexec2   --nostringval--   --nostringval--
   --nostringval--   2   %stopped_push   --nostringval--
   --nostringval--   --nostringval--
Dictionary stack:
   --dict:916/1241(G)--   --dict:0/20(G)--   --dict:50/200(L)--
Current allocation mode is local
Current file position is 5

Then, I type quit to get out of ghost script.

If anybody could please tell me how to do what I'm trying to do
correctly, or better yet, if somebody already has a script that does
this, I would very much welcome the help/script.
Thanks.

Greg