problems installing

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Fri Aug 1 12:58:57 EDT 2003

Older is not better, and it's the wrong answer, for heaven's sake.

Instead, be smarter about what you're doing. Don't expect the automated
tools to think. They only have their builtin logic, and it may not be
programmed for extreme circumstances like hardware from 7 years ago.

Instead, read and think and supply specific parameters.

1.)	Use DiskDruid and do the partition sizes yourself. I'd do
between 64 and 128 for slash, about 32 for /home, and the rest for
/usr--just to get started.

2.)	Be smarter about what class of installation you select. Server
Class will give you more of what you want, and a lot less of what you
don't want.

3.)	Be smart about the package groups you select. Clearly, youy
don't want anything to do with X, GNOME, or KDE on this size system. As
you select packages, you'll get a readout on the total size of the
system. Play around with this for awhile, and you'll find you can make
it fit.