nasty bug in grep?

Igor Gueths igueths at attbi.com
Mon Apr 28 17:35:00 EDT 2003

Hi all. Well, I was trying to grep a set of directories using the
following command line: grep -r class /usr/local/mordor. That grepped it
properly. However, when I add grep -r class /usr/local/mordor > grep.out,
it starts grepping all files on the system. And the resulting file quickly
increaes to something like 6 gb. I would try the -d option, however the
manpage says that it acts the same as the -r option. However, I can grep a
set of files in a directory and redirect the output just fine to an
outfile. Does anyone know why it is doing this? I am going to try and get
a later version of grep. Perhaps this problem was fixed already?

May you code in the power of the source,
may the kernel, libraries, and utilities be with you,
throughout all distributions until the end of the epoch.