the future of Linux (was Re: mlb.com)

Kenny Hitt kennyhitt at knology.net
Mon Apr 28 07:19:27 EDT 2003

Hi.  I thought maybe if I give you a recent example you might see
what people are trying to tell you about Linux.

My sighted girl friend uses my laptop as her work station.
She only uses a GUI.  She recently started selling things on
Ebay.  She takes pictures and has them developed and put
on a CD.  When she wants to edit one of her pictures, she uses
a program called imagemagik. It's a general purpose image editor that
understands lots of graphic formats.  She just selects the changes
she wants with her mouse and she shes the results on her screen.
Because imagemagik is general purpose by Unix terms, that means it
can be called from scripts.  I could use the command line to do
all the things she did, but without ever needing a GUI.
If I wanted, I could write a script that gets the pictures off
the Cd and makes them into the correct size for use on Ebay.
I could add a short cut to her desktop to call the script.
I would have to edit a cuple of files in her home directory
to add the short cut, but that's not a problem.

          Kenny