BLT and Toshiba and Speakup

Michael Curran mick at jantrid.net
Sat Apr 26 21:20:46 EDT 2003

Hi All,
I am currently trying to use my Braille Lite 18 as a Braille and Speak for
speakup on my Toshiba Te2000 laptop.

It works absolutely fine if I use it on my normal Desktop PC, speakup finds
the bns, it starts talking, everything is fine.

But on the toshiba, it finds the bns, starts talking, but it only talks for
the first 6 lines or so then just stops. After that I can cursor around
although the speech keeps getting interupted  after the first word or so.

How ever, the Braille display is showing the full string its trying to say,
but the speech just ... stops all the time.
As I have said, it works fine on my desktop so I don't think it has to do
with the settings on my Braille Lite.

(This is the exact same kernel).

Just in case, here are my braille lite settings:

9600 baud, 8 data bits, no parity bits, 1 stop bit, software handshaking.

I'm not exactly sure about the handshaking, although, on software, hardware
and none it makes no difference.

Oh and its also on half-duplex.

I havn't had time to test the toshiba using my Braille Blazer  as a bns to
say if the results are the same.

If anyone has any idea on why this is happening I'd love to hear from you :)

Thanks
Mick

Oh I forgot to say:

if I press the advance bar on the blt it starts to say "invalid paramiter"
but usually gets interupted around the end of "invalid" ... its if there's a
constant pulse of speakup "shut-up" signals being sent to it.
Again, this is not so on my desktop.

--
Michael D. Curran
www: http://redgum.bendigo.latrobe.edu.au/~mdcurran/